Thursday, April 15, 2010

2:45 am

That's what time it is here.
I have tossed and turned for the last hour in bed and finally gave up and got up. Today is the last night of good sleep I may get for awhile and here I am- ha!

I can't think of what today will bring without tearing up. I'll be a mess at the agency. Ugh, and I'm so NOT a cuter crier... these will be great pictures!


Bates,
Sweet boy, tonight as you are asleep next to your foster mom, it rips my heart out to know that tonight is the last night you will sleep next to her. As I was going to sleep tonight, I kept thinking of you and knowing you were wrestling her to go to sleep and you had no idea that this was your last night there. I think if you did, you would close your sweet eyes, lay your head on her shoulder, and soak up every moment with her.
Both your foster mom and I know that that was never meant to be your forever home, but you never did. They say mothers always do what's best for their children, even when it's hard. Baby, you have had three mothers who have done what's best for you. The path God guided us all on hasn't been easy, but everyone has done what's best for you because we all love you so much.
I can't even think about what will happen later today with out crying. And sorry, bud, I'm not a cute crier, so I will have snot and tears and the pictures will be something we look back on and laugh about one day.
I know the days ahead of us are challenging, I know things won't be easy, but I know that with every breath you take you will learn to trust us a little more. You will know that your daddy and I love you so very much and are going to do everything we can to make this transition easy for you. You are truly a gift from the Lord and we will cherish you all the days of our lives.
Today will be a day we celebrate for the rest of your life, it's your gotcha day. The day we gotcha for good. Son, we promise to never ever ever let go of you (Mommas not so sure you will ever be allowed to move out and get married- I'm just saying!) Now that we gotcha, you aren't going anywhere! Today, we won't celebrate too much, we will cry and cry and cry- you me and your daddy too I bet!
You are loosing so much today. The only family you've known, the one you thought was yours for good. You are loosing a wonderful country. One we have come to love. We promise to tell you about Korea often, and teach you as much as you want to know about your heritage, and we will bring you back here to visit one day.

Oh sweet boy, my heart breaks for you and for the days that lie ahead. I will try to be strong for you, but I can't seem to keep it together now. We can do this- me, you, and your daddy...

Today is it! Welcome to our family, chosen one, welcome!

12 comments:

  1. Love you! I am crying with you again! It also doesn't help that I ate Pad Thai for lunch and my eyes and nose are running from the spicy heat of it. So, I am a mess right there with you, my sweet friend.

    I have prayed for you all day. Wondering what you all were doing. You are in our hearts.

    Gavin's life verse is Joshua 1:9 "Be strong and courageous". I am praying that scripture for you three today.

    God has His hand and His arms wrapped right around you as we all praise this day and pray for your days to come.

    Bring that sweet boy home! Please let me know if there is anything you need. I mean that.

    Love you three!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can hardly see the screen through my tears! What a lucky baby he is to have you for his Forever Mother! When he gets home, I want you to take my adoption bracelet off and put it away for him with his other remembrances. When he gets older give it to him and tell him that his MawMaw wore it for months and months until he finally came home. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was BEAUTIFUL!!!!! We have been praying for you guys. You will be a GREAT mom and if you need anything or wanna play date we are in the boro too!!!

    Angela Rogers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Leigh, what an amazing journey you all have been on! I cant imagine all of the emotions you are fighting through right now. Bates is one blessed boy to have so many people who love him. He may not understand today, but he will! There is nothing sweeter than a little boys love. I am so happy that ya'll are going to experience this kind of love. God is the creater and the one who knows our plans. He is with you and Nick as this new walk begins.

    I am looking forward to hearing about the fun times ahead!

    I will continue praying for you guys!

    AOT

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, NOW i'm crying, you sweet thing. I love you and I love Nick and I love Bates! I'm so excited about this. You never cease to amaze me. His Shun name??? Transi-shun. For now. Then he can be...I don't know, but it will come to me.

    Love,
    La Shun

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful, sweet post! I'm praying for all of 3 of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bates is the luckiest kid ever. You are the best mommy!!! Thank you so much for sharing yours and Nicks thoughts, fears, and prayers during this process. I am so very excited for all of you. Only my 2nd post since you left. Again you probably dont remember me, but I came to the support group several times, but I just wanted you three to know I have really been thinking about and praying for you throughout this week. Please remember each moment each second of this day, nothing i mean nothing will ever compare. dont be scared, God has your back! mary elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can we say tears?? I am so glad that you have shared your journey on this blog. It has been so awesome to read about everything....your feelings, emotions, the ups and downs, the pictures. I have truly enjoyed reading this blog and look forward to reading more.

    This particular entry was so sweet! Bates is going to be fine. I know this is a bitter sweet time because of the transition for him, but remember this is God's plan.

    Bates will bond with you and Nick before you know it. He will know who his Mommy and Daddy are!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lost Country
    Lost Foster Family
    Lost Birth Family

    Gains Forever Family
    Gains A PERMANENT Home
    Gains respect as a child with parents (something lost/ Korean cultural stigma)
    The Losses can have reunions! The Gains are sweet!!!!!!
    Gains trump. Losses can be healed, reunited and learned (language, culture, citizenship even).

    Celebrate the gains! Keep the losses in your heart and on the table. Your commitment to the losses can help you celebrate the gains!!!!!!!
    YOU MADE IT! TODAY is YOUR FAMILY day!!!!!!!!!!
    It's Bates Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Viva la Bates!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! I will keep you and your family in my prayers! Looking forward to following you along on the rest of your journey. You have been an encouragement to me without even know it! Your Bates in adorable and will soon realize how much he is loved.
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Make me cry Mary Leigh!! So sweet and Bates will cherish that letter forever. Blessings to you as you transition from a family of two to three!

    ReplyDelete
  12. God + two willing, faithful disciples + one special little guy + a huge suppport system + lots of prayers = an amazing story

    ML, thank you for sharing your feelings so willingly ... joy, sadness, fear, love... the good, the bad, and the ugly...

    I'm so very proud of you! And I'm a tearful mes...
    I love you so! ~ Mom

    ReplyDelete