Thursday, April 15, 2010

Gotcha Day 4.16.10

Nick and I got ready and both of us were talking about how we just wanted to throw up. I was so excited, nervous, scared, and really wanted to hold it together and not be a crying mess before we even got to Holt.

We left our room at 1, for our two o'clock meeting cause it has been taking about 45 minutes for us to get there. I was so all over the place I hit the up elevator button, not the down one.... duh!

We navigated the subway with no problems, and stayed together the entire time, no backpacks in getting shut in the subway doors. We kept saying, I'm going to throw up to each other. I really thought I might throw up, or have to go to the bathroom! I was a mess.

Headed out of the subway was a sign for Holt Children's Service, I, of course, had to have a picture taken. Out of the subway tunnel we came and there it was, HOLT!
We got to Holt and saw the families truck outside, but didn't see anyone in it, so we went inside. We were just standing in the lobby and Bates' foster mom came out from inside the waiting area and waved at us. We went in with her and she brought Bates over. I didn't grab him from her cause I didn't want to make him upset, yet. But of course, I started crying. She grabbed my hand and put it on her chest and said something very sweet in Korea as she had tears running down her face.

Eventually Bates came to me and did that on again off again fake cry. Bates foster dad came in with arm loads of bags.

Bates was getting pretty upset at this point, so I handed him back to his foster mom and we all headed upstairs. We went in the same room as our first meeting and DJ came in. She had our stack of paperwork and said she would be right back with our Holt Blue Bag.

She came back in with the blue bag, and so the whirlwind meeting began. She went over the things in his medical file with us and over his paperwork we must turn in to the immigration office and all that jazz. In all honesty, I have no idea what she said. She went over what was in the blue bag as his foster mom made him a bottle for us to take as well as a bottle of something that is like Pedialite.

DJ translated for us what his schedule this morning has been. He ate a little and threw up, so his foster mom gave him another bath. They are sending the Pedialite stuff in case we think he is dehydrated. He wouldn't take another bottle and only took a very short nap!

Then the foster family gave us some gifts. Holy moly did they spoil us! They gave us a traditional Korea wall mask hanging, a Korean fan, some Ginseng Tea (cause the Foster mom said we would need our energy! Ha) and some Korean "moonpies". In our gift to them we included some good ole Tennessee Moon Pies!

They gave Bates so much stuff, man they love this little booger! They gave him a pair of pjs, two outfits, a hat, two childrens books with musical cds, a traditional Korean Hanbok (that he wore on his 1st birthday!), and three pair of shoes. His foster mom said she is giving us shoes cause she really wants him to walk. So she wanted us to be be prepared. I told her we would make sure of that and send her video when he finally decides to walk!

They also gave us a cd full of pictures of him, a photo album full of pictures from his year with them, cds of Korean childrens music. They were absolutely wonderful.

His foster mom stopped and told DJ that the outfit he had on was sent to him by his birth mom for his first birthday. Ok, tear fest. Now I'm talking the quivering jaw kind of crying!! How sweet that his birth mom sent him a gift for his birthday and how sweet that the foster mom thought to put him it in. She said today was a very special day, so she wanted him to wear it.

We plan on taking some pictures of him again in the outfit and sending them back to Korea to his file and maybe one day his birth mom will get to see him in the outfit she sent.

His foster father asked us that if we adopt from Korea again to please bring him back to see them. We assured him we would bring Bates back to visit one day!

We were all standing there. I was crying, of course, his foster mom was crying, and even DJ who does this everyday was crying. She said he is a special little boy and that she would continue to pray for our family.

Before she handing him to me, she held him for a few minutes just talking to him. She was speaking in Korean so I have no clue what she was saying. It was so sweet, though. As she was talking to him, she started crying and kept giving him kisses.

Then it was time. I put my carrier on and his foster mom brought him over to me and helped me get him in the carrier. He was SCREAMING! I mean like sobbing hysterically. He was arching his back and try to get away and kept turning and looking for her. It was heart breaking. Nick gathered up our gifts and his stuff and headed down the stairs with the foster dad. Nick said that most of the way out of the building, his foster dad was fighting back the tears. The foster mom, DJ, me and Bates road down the elevator and he screamed the entire way.

On the street DJ hailed us a cab, told him where to take us, and loaded us in. I couldn't look back. I couldn't see the face of the woman who has poured her heart and soul into my son as I was taking him away. Bates could see over the back seat so I had him wave goodbye as we drove off.


He was hysterical in the cab. I mean crying so hard he was gagging. I was sure I was about to get throw up down my shirt. He fought me for about 15 minutes and slowly his eyes closed and he was out like a light. It was pitiful, even in his sleep he had big ole tears running down his face.
It took about 20 minutes to get back to our hotel and I think I cried the entire time. I couldn't believe it, we made it! My son was finally in my arms, I was so overwhelmed. I couldn't stop the tears. Our journey to him was over, now our life with him begins...

29 comments:

  1. Dear sweet daughter,
    I know where you get those tears... I am sitting here squawling like crazy!
    I thought about and prayed for y'all all day yesterday. I went to bed praying and woke up several times during the night praying for the "gotcha". I hope I hit it right at some point.
    ML, God matched you three long ago. He has special plans for you and Nick and this little guy. Trust in that. Hang on to each other and hang on to the hands of the One who matched y'all as a family.
    I look forward to meeting "Mr. Personality"!
    Love you, dear one~ Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dont worry ... after reading that we're ALL crying! Everything will be GREAT! We cant wait to meet your sweet baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word, I could just see it all so clearly as I read this! Mary Leigh, I will say it again. You and Nick are going to be AMAZING parents. It is going to be such joy to watch Bates blossom and thrive with you! See you Sunday! Woo hoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SOBFEST over here too!!! :)

    Thanks for starting my morning off right....SO glad to hear you guys FINALLY have your son!!!! Welcome to the club!

    Can't wait to see you guys on Sunday. I might just have to give you a hug....hope you're ok with that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tearing up here, too!!! Your words portray gotcha day perfectly: the overwhelming joy, the sadness, the emotion of it all. Congratulations on becoming a family of three!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I am crying too! Congratulations, travel back safe and I can't wait to see all the pictures to come of you and Nick with your first son.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My heart is overflowing for you today. God is so good! You have your boy!
    M

    ReplyDelete
  9. Me, too...a sobbing mess! I woke up during the night and the Lord brought you to mind so I started praying for all of 3 of you and the foster family. I know it must have been such a difficult time. Congratulations on Gotcha Day! I can't wait to see some pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chocked up reading your experiences in Korea. Your writing is so from the heart and it really expresses the emotions of Gotcha day:) Congratulations on being a family of 3 and let the journey begin....

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are amazing and so much stronger then most people can ever imagine to be in their lives! What a journey you have had and what an exciting one you are embarking on! You have touched so many people!
    I am praying for you to have safe,fast,and smooth travel home.

    Erin Allen Lamb
    (your KD big sister :))

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK, tears. Take it in girl. Your boy is home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Crying and so happy for you all at the same time! Love you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. YAY :) ITs all so overwhelming, crazy and amazing. Those foster Mommas are incredible! It really was all a blur and I'm so glad we took videos. Sissy still says "UMMA!" Cant wait to see pics.
    Praying for ya'll

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whew. So excited for you THREE! Praying so hard for your journey home. I prayed for you as I was getting ready this morning. :)

    Love yall!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was good until you said the birth mom gave him that. Geesh! What a great gift! H

    ReplyDelete
  17. As i read this tears pour down my face!!! So happy for you guys!!!!

    angela

    ReplyDelete
  18. Outfit from the birth mother? Tear factory!!!!!!!!!!!
    I would have bawled my eyes out!!!! Congrats, and happy family day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a story! You are an amazing writer, and these entries with such great detail are going to be such a gift to Bates! Congrats on becoming a family!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Tears of sweetness and joy for you 3!!! Praying for your safe travels back. The picture of you kissing him while he is sleeping is so precious!!!!

    Congratulations to your family!! As you said, now your journey as a family of 3 begins. May it be a blessed one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Got a little choked up when I read this this AM, but now that I see the pictures I am a mess!!! You are a Mommy!!!!!!! Motherhood looks good on you - red eyes and all! Tell Nick congratulations on being a Daddy too!!!! He did a great job getting pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It took me three tries to read this without tears streaming (I was at school). And then, when I get home I see the pics. Like Casey said, it looks GREAT on you!! Tell Nick congrats, and you guys have fun being a family of three. Can't wait to see you all on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ok wow the pictures totally make this story. The ones of you two in the cab are priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my gosh, as if I didn't cry enough just reading the words you wrote...seeing those pictures was just the end of me. Your sweet mommy-heart just shines, Mary Leigh.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello - I found your blog a few weeks ago and have been following along on your journey to pick up Bates in Korea. (We are currently waiting to travel to get our son Max) I, too, have tears streaming down my face after reading this. What a bittersweet good-bye to the foster parents. I know it seems hard, but it will get easier. Congratulations on Bates, a beautiful boy! Your journey continues!

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow. tears in my eyes. what an awesome day. praying for you...

    anna

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congratulations on becoming a family of three!!! The last picture of Bates holding onto the carrier is precious.

    BTW: Kyle has the same outfit that Bates is wearing:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. what a beautiful journey! thanking God for his many answered prayers and for bringing little Bates home.:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Mary Leigh, thank you for sharing your journey with so many of us. It has been such an emotional week (for all of us) following your time in Seoul with Bates! You have honored his heritage, his history and all those that will always be important in his life beautifully with your posts - something he will treasure when he is old enough to understand. OK - now I need some tissues!! Congratulations on your beautiful son Bates and becoming a family of three!

    ReplyDelete