Sunday, April 25, 2010

one week in

We've officially been home one week. I can't believe it. It seems like Bates has been with us forever.

Here are some highlights of our first week home.
First dinner at home.

What happened after 1st dinner at home.
Night night with the monster.
Uncle Robbie feeding Bates dinner.
and the mess that followed. Silas came over to play!
Grant came to play.
First walk in the jogger.
Guess who likes suckers.
Sleeping with momma.
We went to the doctor and the dentist. Bates wasn't so sure of Uncle Anna in the mask.
Bates isn't a fan of having his teeth cleaned.
Someone fell asleep on his walk with momma.

And here are some things I've learned in one week of mommyhood.
  • Practice closing the stroller before you are in the Target parking lot and look like an idiot. Let's just say the stroller fits in the back of my jeep without being folded down.
  • When you hang the diaper bag on the back of the stroller and take the baby out, the stroller will flip over- just FYI
  • A dog is the best for cleaning up after dinner messes
  • After eating, wipe the hands before the face. If you wipe the face first, he will wipe his hands on his face.... messy again!
And here are some updates with Mr. Bates, which is why you all tune in anyways.
  • The boy is an eater. He's not a fan of baby food, the boy likes table food.
  • He's had: meatloaf, mac and cheese, green beans, hamburger, pizza, cheese, animal crackers, yogurt, oranges, tortilla, shredded chicken, Chic-fil-a, rice, and fruit salad.
  • So far he hasn't like RICE! Can you believe that? I told him that he is Korean, he should LOVE rice!
  • He still gets a bottle before naps and bed, and during the night.
  • He hasn't puked in like 5 days. Whoohoo. He has a super sensitive gag reflex though, so you gotta be on your toes!
  • He is sleeping better. He will go about 2-3 hours between wake up. He doesn't need a bottle each time, he just needs us to settle him down and get him back to sleep.
  • When he wakes up, if he rolls over he can go back to sleep, but if he sits up and stands up, game over. He can't seem to figure out that he can lay back down. He stands up and screams, with his eyes closed. It's kinda cute when you walk in his room.
  • He sleeps best in the bed with one of us. But that is kinda a no go 'round here.
  • He is super attached to us, but is still a daddy's boy.
  • He gives high fives, but only when he wants to.
  • He has the most excited bye-bye wave. It requires his ENTIRE arm.
  • He LOVES to ride in his car seat. He just chills and looks out the window. My favorite part is opening the door to get him out and he just looks at me a smiles. Oh, I love it.
I can't believe he's been home a week. The other night I was up with him around 3 am and was rocking him. The moonlight was streaming in the window and shining on his sweet face. I just sat there and looked at him with tears streaming down my face. My heart broke for the 127 million other orphans in the world that don't have a mommy and daddy to get up with him or her in the middle of the night. How is that fair? I'm not ok with that. It makes my heart hurt. I know we have room in our house and hearts for a few more.... one day.

We are so in love with our little guy. We can't believe he is ours. He is ours- forever! We are one lucky momma and daddy.

9 comments:

  1. Reading this made me feel so close to him! Maybe every great-grandmother feels this way. I can't wait to see him again. I love him dearly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only a true Mommy can smile with puke on her! I am so glad to hear that things are going so well! He is just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the picures. I am I can picture the scene in the parking lot at Target. So funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Precious....I too have put a stroller in without being folded...those things are ADVANCED! Can't wait to see you in person as a mommy...I know you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for Chick-Fil-A!! I think someone needs some Kid's Meal coupons!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like things are going so well. I love the picture of the 2 of you asleep...so sweet! Thanks for the stroller tip. I'll keep that in mind! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. !27 million.....MLB, we can do it!!!! Okay, not really.
    Glad all is well in TN! Ji-uk and Bates need to Skype!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the updates! One week down...a lifetime to go!:) BTW, I've been there with the stroller too!

    ReplyDelete