Wednesday, April 14, 2010

the rest of our day

Our cab driver took us up to the cable car stop to head up to Seoul Tower. We bought our tickets and waited to load the cable car.

Riding the car made me a little nervous. It was a HUGE car, with LOTS of people in it on a very skinny cable!
As we were riding up the mountain we could see Seoul, man what a big city.

We reached the top and were a little underwhelmed, but then we figured out we had to walk up a little path to the actual Tower.Seoul Tower is the #1 spot for engagements in Seoul. There are these cable wires and people bring locks and lock them to the wire and then throw the key off the mountain. It signifies eternal love, because the lock can never be undone.I brought a lock from home and we found the perfect spot to lock our lock on the wire. For me, this lock wasn't about a cute couple in love, but it was about the love in which we are building our family to a family of three. We love our little booger and as challenging as the road ahead looks to be, we know God created him just for our family. We did not throw our key off the mountain, we kept it and want to give it to Bates. He is forever a part of us, and this key will remind him of the love that brought us across the ocean to him. It will be a sense of encouragement to Nick and I over the next few months of the love that he will soon have for us.

This is our lock.

After locking our lock to the rail with the million others, we headed to the top of the tower. The view was AMAZING! Seoul is HUGE. I mean H.U.G.E! It reached as far as we could see. It's huge, ok, I know I have said that huge times in three sentences, but I don't know how else to describe it! It's huge! It stretched out as far as we could see in every direction!

Over those mountains is North Korea. Sad place.
Our hotel is in the picture below.On the windows were signs of the mileage to the cities out that window.
We are far from home!
After the tower, we decided to to go to Myeondong. Myeondong is a huge mall that has very western stores. We knew they had a Puma store that we wanted to check it out, since some of their golfers have Puma sponsorships Nick was hoping he find a shirt he has been looking for.

Trouble was, we were at Seoul Tower and there was no subway close. I mean at all close.... we are talking several miles. So I assured Nick I could get a Taxi! I put myself on the street corner, scooted out so they could see me, and hailed us a Taxi! Only one Taxi drove by without stopping. I call that a success!

We jumped in the Taxi and I pointed to our book that had the name of the mall in it. The driver smiled and said "Myeondong" I said YES! And off we went.

The taxi dumped us out, after another life threatening ride, right at Myeondong. Nick and I looked for a sign and immediately found the Puma logo. After a four story escalator ride, we found the Puma story and Nick got a shirt just like he was looking for!

After Puma we walked around the mall to the H&M store, which I love. I got a fun hat to wear since you know, my straighter died!

We saw this sign on a building at the mall- MLB - that's ME!! How fun!
After shopping we walked down the street, which I assured Nick would lead us to a subway station. It was a very very busy main street, so I figured it would have to have a stop on it. And guess what, it did! We got on the subway and headed back to our hotel. We were tired! Lots of walking and walking and walking today.
We got back to the Hotel and I took about a 30 minute nap. Then it was time to go pick up Bates' name chop and his name sign. I'll post pictures of that later. It's bed time here. I gonna hit the sack, but I'm sure I'll be up in the middle of the night and blog more!

3 comments:

  1. Mary Leigh and Nick,
    I bet you are exhausted by now, but I am so glad you are getting to see your son's homeland! I just left you a WAY too long comment on your "meeting Bates" post. Please don't worry, everything is going very normally! Bates is beautiful!
    Blessings,
    Brenda (from WOC)

    ReplyDelete
  2. FUN!!! I would a shop righ by Pizza Hot called "Holly's Coffee" I posed in front of it!!!! WHat was "MLB" a buisness?

    ReplyDelete
  3. * I "found a shop right by Pizza Hut" ....my spelling :(
    ....4 kids makes you illiterate.

    ReplyDelete