Monday, August 3, 2009

Dear Congressman...

The Adoption Tax Relief Guarantee Act was introduced in 2005. This legislation allows many adopting families to take a tax credit of up to $10,000+ against their federal taxes. This credit is scheduled to expire in 2010.

Last year, legislation to make the adoption tax credit permanent passed by an overwhelming majority in the House, but stalled in the Senate.

Today I wrote my senators and my congressman to urge them to support this legislation. I am asking for you to do the same.

If you live in Tennesse, you can write to
Senator Lamar Alexander
455 Dirksen Senate Office Building
District of Columbia 20510-4204

and

Senator Bob Corker
185 Dirksen Senate Office Building
District of Columbia 20510-4205

and

Congressman Bart Gordon
2306 Rayburn House Office Building
District of Columbia 20510-4206

If you don't live in Tennessee, find your Senator and Congressman at www.congress.org

You can see who the bill co-sponsors are by going to http://thomas.loc.gov under "Search Bill Text 109th Congress" search for bill number HR 305 or S 246. Then click on "Bill Summary and Status" then on "CoSponsors". No Tennessee Representatives is current a co-sponsor.

Just a note if you decide to write, the bill is H.R. 305 in Congress and S. 246 in the Senate.

Below is my letter to Senator Alexander and Senator Corker.

Dear Senator,

My family and I are constituents in Murfreesboro. We request your support of S. 246, The Adoption Tax Relief Guarantee Act of 2005.

The adoption expense tax credit that this legislation would make permanent is very important to me and my family. Without this significant financial help, we will find it very difficult to adopt our child.

Currently, my husband and I are in the process of adopting our first child. Our adoption expenses will easily exceed $30,000, a very significant sum to our family.

I truly believe that the passing of the adoption expense tax credit will result in many more children finding new, loving homes like my own.

I urge your to co-sponsor S. 246. This legislation is so important to me that I will be following its progress and will be looking for your name as a co-sponsor.

Thank you in advance for your support of this legislation that truly serves children who need families.

Sincerly,
Mary Leigh Brown


Thanks for your support for not just our family, but future families who want to adopt!

2 comments:

  1. As a family that has successfully used the tax credit, we will be sending letters too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am right there w/ ya ... this is an important piece of Legislation ... so glad you are stalking anymore and you are out in the open ... ha ha ha ... love your blog header ... and I love Jumping w/ others into the sea of 147 million orphans !!! pray your angel can come home soon ... if you don't mind can you email me your process ... i have people ask me all the time about countries to adopt from and I really don't know that much about South Korea ....

    ReplyDelete